Thursday, October 13, 2011

October Month: Live Chat Interview with Rob Blackwell author of "A Soul to Steal"

This October Month we have a spooktacular Live Chat: Author Interview with Rob Blackwell. Let's Welcome, Rob Blackwell author of "A Soul to Steal" 
Enjoy!


About The Book
Enjoy this Halloween for Only $2.99
Get the Book?     Amazon.com Goodreads


“A clever and modern twist on the classic specter of Sleepy Hollow, the story is not merely an homage to an American classic, but rather a new chapter in what has become an iconic American ghost story.” -- Brian Gill

“It starts out a page-turner and the bombs keep dropping to the very satisfying conclusion. My only complaint is it kept me up till 4 a.m. to finish – I couldn’t put it down.” -- James Collins

“Reality and the paranormal seem to flirt with each other throughout the book, and when they finally meet the story charges like gangbusters towards the end.” -- Tristan Poje


You Are What You Fear

Something is stalking the citizens of Loudoun County, Va.

Is it the return of the notorious serial killer known as Lord Halloween? Or is it something worse—a figure that can cloak itself as your worst nightmare?

The Reviews 
See at Goodreads.com


 Rob Blackwell, The Author 
Rob Blackwell is a journalist who currently serves as Washington Bureau Chief for American Banker newspaper. A native of Great Falls, Va., he has worked as a reporter for the Loudoun Times-Mirror, Eastern Loudoun Times and a columnist for the South County Chronicle.
He recently published his first novel, "A Soul to Steal," set in Loudoun County, Va. He has won several Virginia Press Association awards and was co-winner of the Jesse H. Neal Award for Business Journalism.
He lives in Virginia with his wife and two children.


Live Chat of October 7,
2011 at around 7:51 p.m.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Rob how long has writing been a passion to you?
 
Rob: I was going to say after college, but that's not right. Pretty much since the sixth grade. Why? Because I wrote a story and I had to read it in front of the whole class. And they laughed (in a good way). It was a silly story about some guy being chased by a tiger, but it was definitely tongue and cheek (not that I knew that phrase). Anyway, the other kids in the class loved it, and I loved that they loved it. Even before then, I was always thinking up stories and they lived in my head like a movie. Eventually it made sense to try and write them down.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: What kind of kid were you back then in your younger years like say college?


Rob: Hmmm... I was a bit of the class clown and a bit of the drama nerd. My reaction to pretty much anything is to try and make it a joke which explains the first. In high school, I was really into drama and I loved acting. By college... I'm not sure what happened. At some point I got tired of acting and wanted to make up my own stories. Strangely, though, I didn't particuarly want to tell funny stories, but scary ones. I was always fascinated with scary stories, books, movies, etc., and that's what I wrote.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Really, so would you say that you fancy the paranormal or Science Fiction?


Rob: Paranormal, definitely. I've read a lot of science fiction, and every so often I've thought of a story that goes in that direction. But I love the supernatural. I'm fascinated with it. I love ghost stories in particular. I like vampires and werewolves but they are a bit oversaturated at the moment. But anything supernatural just draws me in.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Yeah, vampires are always on authors' minds. Rob, you mentioned that you were a journalist before. What's the story?


Rob: I've been a journalist for my entire professional life, so roughly 15 years. I started out as a sports reporter at the local paper, and spent several years with the Loudoun Times-Mirror as a general assignment reporter. My novel, "A Soul to Steal," draws a lot from that experience. It takes place a the Loudoun Chronicle and involves two community journalists. Currently, I'm the Washingon Bureau Chief of a paper called American Banker. It's not well known in the world at large, but is a big deal if you are in financial services. Strangely, the Wall Street Journal just put a story we did on their front page today, so maybe we'll get a little more attention.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Wow, very impressive. What's your book, A Soul to Steal, about?


Rob
: Short version: It's about fear. How it shapes you, how it defines you, and how you use it. Longer version: it's about two community journalists on the trail of a serial killer who discover much more than they bargained for. The serial killer definitely isn't the only thing they have to be worried about. I've struggled to say what genre it's in because it has a little bit of everything. Its part mystery, part suspense and part paranormal romance.



The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Like those genre mentions a lot. What kind of reader would enjoy your book the most?


Rob: All of them! I know that sounds like a cop-out, but it's not. I've decided that when I'm asked the genre, I will just say "page-turner," cause that's what it is. That's what it was designed to be. I didn't sit down and worry about what genre it was in: instead I was focused on something that would be hard for people to put down. I think mystery lovers will really like trying to figure out the identity of Lord Halloween, the serial killer. I think suspense/thriller readers will get caught up in the chase. And I think paranormal romance fans will be very surprised that there is a strong romantic element to it by the end of the novel. This is about two people who -- when they decide to trust each other -- become MUCH stronger together than they ever would have been apart. And I mean that literally.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Now, I really want to read this book! Rob with your book ,A Soul To Steal, out already. Will you continue to write and if so other books your planning to write on your mind?


Rob: Good! I want you to read my book too! "A Soul to Steal" is actually the start of a trilogy. I've mapped out the other two novels in my head but haven't started writing them. Once I get through the book launch for "A Soul to Steal," I'm going to start going on the next one. I don't want to give away the ending of "A Soul to Steal" here, but it resolves the major issues while raising a lot of questions at the end about what happens next. I'm excited to tell people that. After that, I have several other novel ideas. I wrote probably the third of a general fiction novel this summer that I would lie to get back to. But in general, I'm going to keep writing until someone or something makes me stop. I love it. I really agonized over publishing "A Soul to Steal," because I didn't really know a lot about indie publishing. But the response has been really, really positive. Not just from my friends, but bloggers I've never met who read the novel and gave it really positive reviews. That feels great and has encouraged me to just keep writing.


The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: A Trilogy. Great! Congratulations for the positive reviews:) Promote or mention. Tell us more, Rob?


  I'm pulling up some others. One sec.
The Jeep Diva has also done one, which can be read at http://www.goodreads.com/. She's gong to publish the full review on her Web site on Halloween. http://www.thejeepdiva.com/?zx=aefc3e36e4400175
Those are the ones I have handy. I'd also encourage people to check out my Amazon page: http://www.amazon.com/A-Soul-To-Steal-ebook/dp/B005JVEXX0/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
  There are a lot of good reviews on there as well.
The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger: Read the review from Bee's Knees Reviews. Was very good. Your book is a perfect blend of terror and suspense.


Rob: This is exactly what I like to hear! But don't forget the romance! The Jeep Diva review -- which I can't pull up at the moment because good reads is down -- said she was "surprised" by the romance and how good it was.


That has been Rob Blackwell!
Fun Author Interview, right?
~Cassandra The Book & Movie Dimension Blogger

Blog Archive

Blog Followers

Disclaimer

Blog Graphics: Pictures aren't owned by me that are found on this blog. Most of them can be found via Google/Bing! images or from author press releases and are in no way used for profit. Credit goes to them entirely.

Reviews: Are not given either positively/negatively based on compensation. Reviews are entirely out of speculative opinion. Put out for readers to ultimately make their decision on a book, movie, and or product. They are honest reviews based on opinion. And ultimately I would never falsify information or exaggerate, given I do not see a benefit in doing so.

Affiliate: The blog is monetized through Amazon's Affiliate Associates Program, The Book Depository's Affiliate Program, YesStyle's Affiliate Program, GoHastings Affiliate Program, and a few other programs best seen through the blog's ads. Every little purchase you make, makes, a huge difference to me as a blogger. Buying through the blog's links gives me a small percentage of commissions. I try exceptionally hard to make the links/ads as unintrusive as possible when viewed on the blog. If they are intrusive, I, do so apologize but still hope you can enjoy the actual written reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...