Tuesday, April 19, 2016

A Movie Review: The New World (2005)

The New World Image Credit: telegraph.co.uk

At this point, it becomes clear how much a love for period films I have. I don't know. There is just this mystical and otherworldly quality to it that I find surreal because it looks terribly different than our own times, but at once possible. It's just so contradictory that I love it.

Looking back on The New World I am not sure when I first watched it but I know one thing I was curious to see what this movie would offer in terms of a portrayal of the New World. In historical context this means North America during the early beginnings of colonial times. When explorers were common. When the world was still a place that was widely unmapped.

Image Credit: amciv.wordpress.com

Image Credit: filmsufi.com

The views I would see with The New World! I think this is what encompasses the film. It's an interpretation of that period of time with the use of grand-sweeping foresty vistas. A lot of what makes this movie the grand movie it is among all the others out there, is the way things are filmed. At times, for whole lengths of time what little you would see are shots at nature. Oh, but this isn't the whole of what this film offers. There is quite a beautiful love story too. One which some of you may possibly know. The one about Pocahontas but in a whole new re-imagined direction. Here John Smith chooses to leave the alluring, pure Pocahontas for a career as an explorer. Only to realize the time he knew with her was everything that held any meaning. At once pure in its cinematic approach, at once tragic in story. 
Image Credit: theobservants.be


Directed by: Terrence Malick

Standout Performances: Q'orianka Kilcher, Colin Farrell, and Christian Bale.


Buy The New World on DVD or Digital

Blog Archive

Blog Followers

Disclaimer

Blog Graphics: Pictures aren't owned by me that are found on this blog. Most of them can be found via Google/Bing! images or from author press releases and are in no way used for profit. Credit goes to them entirely.

Reviews: Are not given either positively/negatively based on compensation. Reviews are entirely out of speculative opinion. Put out for readers to ultimately make their decision on a book, movie, and or product. They are honest reviews based on opinion. And ultimately I would never falsify information or exaggerate, given I do not see a benefit in doing so.

Affiliate: The blog is monetized through Amazon's Affiliate Associates Program, The Book Depository's Affiliate Program, YesStyle's Affiliate Program, GoHastings Affiliate Program, and a few other programs best seen through the blog's ads. Every little purchase you make, makes, a huge difference to me as a blogger. Buying through the blog's links gives me a small percentage of commissions. I try exceptionally hard to make the links/ads as unintrusive as possible when viewed on the blog. If they are intrusive, I, do so apologize but still hope you can enjoy the actual written reviews.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...